Follow @PaulMauffray

Thursday, July 13, 2006

First Czech trip 1994



In 1994 I made my first trip to the Czech Republic. Upon arrival, I learned that there was an opportunity to fill in for another conductor on short notice with the Hradec Kralove Philharmonic. On June 30th (my name day) we performed the orchestral suite from "The Cunning Little Vixen" by Leos Janacek.

Then I participated in an opera workshop, and within a month I organized a concert with a youth orchestra in Zlin. This was the Beethoven Chamber Orchestra from Ostrava, and on our way to Zlin our bus broke down in the woods! At least we weren't stopped for long, and we made it on time for the concert. Our program of 20th century American music culminated with Copland's "Appalachian Spring".

I stayed in Zlin for over a week and spent a great deal of time with the local folk-dance ensemble. I had met them during their previous visit to New Orleans in March of 1994, and this was a perfect initiation into the folk music and dances of Moravia.
... "wine, women, and song" ;-)

No comments: