Follow @PaulMauffray

Friday, July 14, 2006

California "Werther", 2000






In the summer of 2000, I worked as an assistant conductor to Michael Morgan at the Festival Opera in Walnut Creek, California. We performed Massenet's "Werther", and as you can see from the photos, it was a truly joyful experience to work with the children's chorus ("noel, noel, noel ...").

Later that year, I came back to share conducting duties on "The Nutcracker" with the Oakland East Bay Symphony and the Oakland Ballet.

While in California, I had two more nice Christmas surprises. First, maestro Michael Tilson Thomas invited me to be one of a select few participants in his upcoming masterclass with the New World Symphony in Miami (where I conducted Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra"), and then I was offered the job of assistant conductor at the 2001 Salzburg Music Festival.

No comments: