Follow @PaulMauffray

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mussorgsky's "Pictures from an Exhibition" with paintings!


I always enjoy returning to conduct in places I have been before and especially to work with musicians who I met long ago. It was in 1994 that I first conducted in Ostrava with a student orchestra, and at least five of those same musicians are still in the Janacek Philharmonic Ostrava today!


Together, we performed Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures from an Exhibition" in educational concerts which featured some of the original paintings by Viktor Hartmann which inspired the creation of this music!




We also showed the audience how to read and follow a full orchestra score, and we presented pages of the music (with colorful highlighted hints) synchronized with the orchestra's performance.

The concerts were such a success, that the orchestra has invited me back for five performances of the same concert in March of 2012!

No comments: